Pesto sauce is a traditional recipe, but I decided to try spicing it up (that means two things lol) by introducing spicy chili peppers and trying different nuts. This quick and easy version of the recipe focuses on the jalapeño and serrano pepper, along with the almond. Together, they make a delicious combination that is the perfect way to compliment pasta and seafood dishes.
- 6 Jalapeno Peppers; cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 5 Serrano Chilies; cored and seeded
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt; to taste
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until pureed and smooth (usually about 30 seconds on high). Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, the process for 30 more seconds.
- Use as a spread, toss with your favorite freshly cooked pasta, or incorporate into any meat or seafood dish to give it a deliciously spicy kick.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Get inspired. The pictures below demonstrate a few of the ways that others have used this delicious pesto. Enjoy!