Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 9 oz. store bought puff pastry dough, thawed if frozen
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 4 baking apples
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (recipe will follow)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 6-cup ovenproof dish with butter.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured counter and cut into four squares, each large enough to enclose an apple.
- Peel and core the apples and place one in the middle of each dough square.
- Sprinkle with the vanilla sugar and fill each cavity with a fourth of the cream and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Bring the corners of the dough squares up to the top of each apple and pinch together, leaving a small opening to let steam escape.
- Brush the dumplings with the egg yolk mixture, place in the prepared dish, and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm or cool.
You can buy vanilla sugar, which usually has a very strong aroma, but it is better and more economical to make your own. Put a vanilla bean in a glass jar, fill the jar with sugar, seal, and store in a cool place. In this way, the sugar takes on a natural, delicate vanilla fragrance.