This recipe makes almost double the amount of vinaigrette needed for three romaine hearts, but it will keep for a week in the refrigerator. Try this salad with the Pappardelle with Creamy Pink Wild Mushroom Sauce.
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, rinsed, patted dry, and chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I substituted balsamic)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced (I used 2)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 hearts of romaine, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- In a food processor or blender, puree the olives, vinegar, and mustard. While processing, drizzle in the olive oil so it forms a thick, uniform emulsion. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the shallot and thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste, about 1 tsp. and 1/2 tsp. respectively.
- Put the romaine in a large bowl. Toss with enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat the lettuce. Sprinkle each serving with some of the Parmigiano and serve.